Creating hyperlinks to UPK content
You may want to obtain a hyperlink to UPK content that you can use somewhere else, to jump directly to a specific Topic. There are a number of ways of doing this:
The Share feature was introduced in UPK 11.x, and appears as a link on the leftmot side of the Concept Pane, immediately above the Play Mode buttons. It is available regardless of the type of object selected in the hierarchy (module, Section, or Topic - probably Assessment and Question too, although I haven't tried that).
Clicking on the Share link opens up a modal dialog box that contains the URL of the selected object. This URL can then be copied, and used elsewhere as the target of a hyperlink. The URL is in the following format:
However, when a user clicks on the resultant hyperlink, they are presented with the Concept Pane only, without the Outline hierarchy being visible. However, all the 'play mode' buttons are still displayed, so the user can still launch the Topic in whatever mode they want from here. However, if the user wants to see the Outline, they need to click on the View Outline link on the upper-left of the screen.
You can also use the Share link to provide a link that will launch the Topic in a specific mode. Just append &mode=x (where x is the play mode code to the end of the URL that the Share function gives you. This works well for Print It! mode (P), but if you launch a 'playable' mode that effectively opens a new window, you probably also want to add &close to the URL as well, to close the 'launch' page when the user has completed the Topic. This may be a faster alternative than going through kp.html to get URLs.
The file kp.html provides a way of obtaining a hyperlink to a specific Topic in a specific Play Mode (or to a specific Concept Pange.) If you use the URL to a specific Play mode, then as soon as the trainee clicks on the link, the Topic will automatically be started in the selected mode. Once they complete the Topic, they will be returned to the place from which they clicked on the link (subject to the Back and Back2 parameters - see below) - that is, they will not see the Player or Outline. This is a great option if you want to launch UPK simulations from within a separate presentation or CBT.
To access kp.html, modify the URL of your Player as follows. If your standard URL is:
change this to
Note that you should never use a URL of http://myserver.com/data/toc.html. Oracle has been known to change the structure of the folders on the server, but the index.html and default.html files will always be in the highest-level directory, and will always be resolved/redirected by the Player itself.
kp.html will display as follows:
Module Name [Concept] Section 1 Name [Concept] Topic 1 [Topic][See It!][See It! (In window)][Try It!][Know It?][Do It!][Test It!][Print It!][Concept] Topic 1 [Topic][See It!][See It! (In window)][Try It!][Know It?][Do It!][Test It!][Print It!][Concept] Section 2 Name [Concept] etc. etc.
where each text in square brackets is a hyperlink.
Right-click on any hyperlink and select Copy Shortcut (in Internet Explorer - may be different for other browsers). This will copy the URL of the selected object, in the selected mode (for Topics), to the clipboard. The available hyperlinks are:
- [Concept] - A link to the concept Page for the Module, Section, or Topic
- [Topic] - The same link as you get from the Share feature explained above
- [See It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in See It! mode
- [See It! (In window)] - A link to launch the Topic directly in See It! mode, but in a separate window (instead of full-screen). Note, however, that although this window is resizable, the screenshot is not scaled, and will always be displayed full-size.
- [Try It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in Try It! mode
- [Know It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in Know It? mode
- [Do It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in Do It! mode
- [Test It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in Test It! mode
- [Print It!] - A link to launch the Topic ddirectly in Print It! mode
The URL will be in the format:
This is a call to a separate page, dhtml_kp.html, with one or more of the following parameters:
- Guid= - The Document ID of the Content Object
- Mode= - The playback mode, as follows:
- S - See It! mode
- T - Try It! mode
- K - Know It? mode
- D - Do It! mode
- E - Test It! mode
- P - Print It! mode
- kpnextpage= - Used by Knowledge Pathways to push the user forward to the next learning activity
- kpfeedbk= - Used by Knowledge Pathways to provide a feedback page
- Hash - Don't know.
- Back (no value) - If this parameter is set then at the end of playback, control is returned to the application from which the URL was called
- Back2 (no value) - Indicates that once playback has finished, the browser should go back two pages (useful for skipping over auto-redirects/reloads
- Close - Indicates that once playback has finished, the browser window should close. This is the most useful mode to use with embedded links, as typically the link will open in a separate window, and you want that window to be closed in order to return the user to the presentation.
- Windowed - Used for the [See It! (In window)] link. It does not work for the other modes.
- ConceptOnly - Used on [Concept] links only, to indicate that the page should be displayed as a single-page Concept Pane.
- Frame= - Can be used to start playback from a specific Frame
- Name= - Don't know
- Path= - The Share function uses this parameter, with a value of Data. I don't know what other values are possible or what they do.
- Owner = - Don't know